There’s nothing quite as invigorating or stress relieving as getting on a bike and cycling through miles of beautiful countryside. The 35 miles of towpath has been restored with the cyclist in mind – it’s safe, traffic free, pollution free and an ideal route for cyclists of all levels.
Sustrans Route 754 follows the canal towpath from Bowling to Edinburgh, so you can cycle across Scotland. The towpath between Dalmuir and Bowling forms part of the scenic Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycleway. Did you know you can hire a bike from our new BHive Activity Hub at Bowling Harbour?
- Alert walkers by ringing your bell and always give way to walkers.
- The towpath is often only 1m wide, and can be wet and uneven. Take extra care. It is being upgraded and widened in sections.
- Dismount at all road crossings, bridges, aqueducts and blind bends and at canal weirs, including cobbled weirs.
- Tandem bike users – please be aware that you will need to dismount and lift your bike through the gates, as they are not wide enough to cycle through.
- Do not speed, speed causes accidents!