Hillend Reservoir is a naturalised reservoir established between 1797 and 1799 when the North Calder Water was dammed. It was, at the time, the largest man-made reservoir in the world. The reservoir still supplies water to the Forth & Clyde Canal and the remains of the Monkland Canal.
As part of our statutory obligations as reservoir owners, works are being undertaken to safeguard the integrity of the reservoir and manage risk to the wider public and downstream. The project will include inspecting the downstream face of the main weir and removing vegetation with further works to be confirmed after the inspection. These repairs are required to protect the masonry structure from potential scour damage in times of flood, or whenever water flows over the weir.
Update October 2018
The main weir toe was dewatered and inspected in July with the weir sides safety fencing being renewed by Scottish Canals staff in late summer. The access track potholes have been filled in by the Scottish Canals Maintenance team, and the team are planning to undertake vegetation removal, weir repairs and sidewall under-pinning during the winter months.