Scottish Canals are looking for a Financial Controller, reporting directly to the Finance Director. The Financial Controller is a key member of the Senior Management team, responsible for the day to day accounting and financial management of the business. The role holder is also responsible for budgeting and expenditure monitoring, as well as reporting on the financial performance to management and across the organisation.
The Financial Controller will manage 3 direct reports – 2 Management Accountants and the Finance Manager who is responsible for a team of up to 8. The Financial Controller will ensure robust leadership and coaching and development of the team and will set and monitor individual and departmental KPIs and objectives and support your colleagues and peers.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Assist the Finance Director in identifying and formulating options and identifying resources which will contribute to meeting Scottish Canals’ strategic objectives, including budgets and strategic plans
- Provide impartial advice and guidance to management on all financial matters pertaining to Scottish Canals and its joint venture companies.
- Undertake corporate accounting and co-ordinate and consolidate Scottish Canals’ financial management requirements; prepare management reports and explanations of variances for submission to management
- Manage the cash flow of Scottish Canals on an on-going basis;
- Direct and consolidate statutory accounting and produce the Annual Report Accounts;
- Provide corporate financial services, e.g. capital accounting, operational leasing, option appraisal, VAT.
- Advise on and implement the financial management and accounting frameworks and systems in terms of relevant legislation, statements of standard accounting practice, standardised reporting etc.
- Undertake research and development on all finance related matters, and participate in and provide advice, guidance and assistance on Best Value Reviews and the process of continuous improvement across Scottish Canals
- Account for corporate funds and reserves
- Deputise for the Finance Director
- Carry out day to day management of the finance function
- Monitor performance against budget and provide regular budgetary control statements for operational units and managers
- Carry out cost appraisals, value for money audits etc.
- Maintain the financial ledger in accordance with best accounting practice
- In receipt of a recognised professional accountancy qualification (CIMA, ICAS, ICAEW, ACCA or CIPFA), membership of which to be maintained throughout tenure
- Ability to develop integrated operational and strategic plans and budgets in conjunction with operational management
- Experience in highlighting financial performance at a senior level
- Ability to coordinate and manage the financial year end process and the preparation of statutory financial statements
- Ability to ensure operational managers and budget holders are provided with accurate, timeous and appropriate information
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to co-operate with, influence and support colleagues across the business
- A full driving license is essential as travel to other locations is required.
This role is being offered on a permanent basis. Working hours are Monday to Friday with a 37 hour working week with the addition of flexi time and other company benefits including a contributory pension scheme, generous annual leave entitlement, car parking on site, credit union and discounted shopping vouchers.
To apply: Please send CV and covering letter stating your salary expectaions to email@example.com