We are looking for a Mechanical and Electrical Operative to join our team based at our location in Dochgarroch. The role is offered on a permanent basis, attracting a salary of circa £20,000 per annum including allowances.
Scottish Canals also offer a generous annual leave entitlement of 33 days, rising to 38 after 5 years(inc. public holidays), along with enhanced sick pay, childcare vouchers, discounted shopping vouchers, and a contributory pension scheme with up to 10% employer contribution.
This position would be suitable for someone from a practical working background, who is used to working with their hands having an aptitude for problem solving and has a flexible and proactive approach to work.
Both in-house and external traininng is provided for familiariastion and role specific requirements and additional training could be available for the right candidate who does not meet all the relevant criteria.
Working as part of a team maintaining a high level of operational integrity for the Caledonian Canal by providing a comprehensive service in relevant areas of craft expertise to the waterway teams, throughout the Caledonian Canal, to ensure that work undertaken on designated sites is completed to defined standards.
This role will involve working outside ensuring that the customer experience is maximised by providing outstanding levels of customer service whilst maintaining a professional approach at all times. The M&E Operatives role is to contribute to the maintenance, repair, conservation and improvement of the waterway for customers, local communities and visitors to enjoy. At all times working to defined standards the Operative will enhance the reputation of the waterway, as a valued national asset, and support Scottish Canals in its aim to improve safety and increase the number of people using the waterways
Day to Day tasks for the role include:
- Working on your own and together in small teams with both modern equipment and historic structures, carrying out inspections and repairs relevant to your own trade to a variety of mechanical, hydraulic, civil and electrical assets.
- Recording findings of inspections and updating maintenance records.
- Assistening other trades, outwith your own trade, in the work above where required.
- Working on-board a small commercial work vessel within the confines of the Caledonian Canal.
- Participate where agreed and required in the standby rota in order to support the delivery of customer service and deal with emergency situations as and when necessary.
- NVQ Level II (or equivalent) in relevant discipline and/or relevant work experience at tradesperson level for minimum of 2 years in relevant discipline. (where there is an absence of trade paperwork or formal qualifications, a skills and knowledge assessment at craft level will be carried out)
- Full UK driving licence
- In depth experience and knowledge of working with hand and power tools
- High level of Health & Safety awareness
- Must be able to work within a team environment and whilst lone working have the ability to judge safety and appropriateness of equipment and resources in line with defined standards and procedures
- Computer literate, experienced in the use of microsoft office applications
- Effective communication skills and a high level of awareness in respect of customer service levels coupled with being able to co-operate with and support team members
- Experience of working on multi disciplinary systems is preferred
- Positive and proactive approach to work
The role is being offered on a permanent basis, 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday with participation in a standby rota as required.
To apply: Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org