Through the new ‘Love your Canal’ canal adoption project, you’ll be able to make a genuine difference in keeping the waterway in North Glasgow looking good whilst having some fun, meeting new friends and learning valuable and interesting practical skills such as lock keeping along the way.
The project will run between Friday and Monday each week from Monday 11th April until the end of October.
Just like traditional lock keepers on the 225 year old waterway, as a volunteer you’ll spend a little time opening locks for passing boats whilst spending most of your time rolling up your sleeves helping repair stonework, painting and removing any litter and graffiti.
You’ll also get the chance to plant wildflowers, learn how to identify plant, fish and animal species living on the waterway and carry out wildlife surveys.
You can learn:
- fascinating canal heritage facts
- stories of the canal’s rich history
- traditional lime mortaring skills
- stone carving skills
- how to identify and record wildflowers and wildlife including bumblebees and bats
- customer service skills
- health and safety skills
You’ll also be able to achieve awards such as:
- the John Muir Discovery Award
- Youth Saltire Award
- certificates of competency for training in areas such as water safety and lime mortaring