The 200-year-old pier at Ardrishaig on the Crinan Canal is undergoing a refurbishment as custodians Scottish Canals aims to bring the structure back into use following a partial collapse earlier this year.
The project will see the damaged section of the pier, which sits at the mouth of Loch Gilp and the Crinan Canal, rebuilt and reinforced in order to reopen it for freight use. The pier is a key asset for timber hauliers in the region, with around 30,000 tonnes of freight passing through the harbour each year. The project scheduled to be completed by the end of October 2017.
Construction of the pier first began in 1800, with alterations carried out between 1817 and 1837 under the direction of the pre-eminent Scottish engineer Thomas Telford. The harbour pier was again extended in the mid-19th century to berth the Clyde steamers that transferred passengers onto the Crinan Canal. Tickets for the steamers were purchased in the former terminal building on Pier Square – now the Yot Spot chandlery. In recent years, the pier has become one of Scotland’s main timber ports.
Richard Millar, Director of Infrastructure at Scottish Canals, said: “The 200-year-old Ardrishaig Pier is an integral part of the historic fabric of the Crinan Canal and now plays a vital role in the economy of the local area. Since the structure’s closure, we’ve been working to come up with a solution that will bring the pier back into use and restore the important timber operations of the area.
“This project will safeguard and improve one of the Crinan’s most important structures, ensuring the pier is cared for into the next century and beyond, and that the vital timber industry is able to continue to operate in the area. We’d like to thank the local community and hauliers for their patience and understanding during the pier’s closure.”