Tomnahurich Bridge closed to boat traffic due to heat

Update 22nd July at 15:50pm

Due to heat expansion, Tomnahurich Bridge has been closed to boat traffic. We would anticipate the bridge will reopen to boat traffic again at 7:45am tomorrow morning.

Our operations team will be monitoring the bridge closely and any updates will be shared here and on our social channels.

Update 22nd July at 8:50am

As temperatures lowered during the night allowing the structure to cool, operations resumed this morning at Tomnahurich Bridge to allow boat traffic to pass through. It is set to be another warm day with rising temperatures which could see the bridge close to boat traffic once again. Our operations team will be monitoring the bridge closely and any updates will be shared here and on our social channels.

Update 21st July at 5:00pm

Whilst Tomnahurich Bridge reopened to canal traffic at the start of our operating day this morning, Scottish Canals had to take the decision to cease operations again as of 14.30 this afternoon with similar air and deck temperatures as we experienced yesterday. We would anticipate the bridge will reopen to boat traffic again at 8:00am tomorrow morning.

We thank you for your patience as we work to solve this issue. Updates will be shared here and on our social channels.

Update 20th July at 3:30pm

As temperatures have reached approximately 34c at road level on the deck of Tomnahurich Bridge this afternoon and the bridge has consequently expanded to the degree that we can no longer be certain of closing it if it is opened.

To protect the traffic flow on the A82, especially with the new Torvean Bridge currently being unavailable to road traffic, Tomnahurich Bridge is currently closed to boat traffic.

We thank you for your patience as we work to solve this issue. Updates will be shared here and on our social channels.

Update 15th July at 5:00pm

Due to heat expansion of the bridge as a result of recent hot weather, we are currently unable to swing Tomnahurich Bridge.

We will be monitoring the bridge closely over the coming days as the fine weather is forecast to continue and the expansion issue is likely to recur.

We thank you for your patience as we work to solve this issue. Updates will be shared here and on our social channels.

Share this Story