Following a series of consultations during 2014, a draft Development Brief has been prepared for the Muirtown and South Kessock area of Inverness. Scottish Canals, in partnership with The Highland Council and the Scottish Government, ran a series of interactive design workshops which involved a range of stakeholders, community groups and representatives who came together to create a shared vision and plan for the area. We gathered some very useful feedback, including ideas for new development land, improved transport connections, improved green spaces, and more diverse uses for Muirtown Canal Basin.
The draft Muirtown and South Kessock Development Brief highlights the opportunities that exist for development and regeneration within the area. The purpose of this development brief is to guide what can happen in the future.
The development brief aims to address a number of issues and opportunities in the area, including:
- Enabling business and housing development and recreational areas around the Muirtown Basin
- Potential for increasing housing choice
- Addressing flood risk issues in the area
- Improving transport connections, particularly walking, cycling and public transport, but also road layout to improve safety
- Enhancement of green networks
- The role of Telford Retail Park and Carse Industrial Estate as important business and employment centres
The Muirtown and South Kessock Development Brief can be viewed online or at the following locations:
- Development and Infrastructure Service Reception, Highland Council Headquarters, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX; or
- Merkinch Community Centre, Coronation Park, Inverness IV3 8AD.
The Brief Boundary encompasses areas of Muirtown and South Kessock .