Old Basin House sits in a prominent position on Applecross Street, adjacent to Scottish Canals Glasgow Headquarters. It is a Category C listed building and currently sits on the Buildings at Risk Register following extensive fire damage in the late 1990s.
The house was originally built around 1790, at which time the site was the original terminus of the Forth & Clyde Canal – subsequently extended into the city funded by City Merchants. It is believed that canal engineer Hugh Baird lived in the house, the designer of the Union Canal – a contour canal. Over the years the building has been host to a number of uses, but has lain derelict since 1997.
With the successful award of Regeneration Capital Grant Funding as part of the wider Growing Places and Spaces application, we are embarking on ambitious refurbishment plans to bring this unloved asset back into new life. The funding will allow an initial phase of investment securing the historic fabric and enabling a variety of new uses to take place within the building. We will begin the sensitive restoration of the house and provide new facilities (toilet and kitchenette) to support an activation programme over the summer months of community and creative events.