Built around 1790, Old Basin House was sited at the original terminus of the Forth & Clyde Canal before this was extended into the city, funded by City Merchants. Canal engineer Hugh Baird, who designed the Union Canal, is believed to have lived in the house.
In 2019, Scottish Canals embarked on an ambitious refurbishment project to bring the building back into use. Both the inside and outside have now been carefully refurbished, with support from Regeneration Capital Grant Funding, Scottish Canals, Glasgow City Council and the Glasgow City Heritage Trust.
Completed in the summer of 2022, the building provides a new home for Gathering Ground – a non-profit community food space, where people can meet, share food, learn and create great connections. Gathering Ground hopes to provide a local community café space and garden in the future, and continues to work in partnership with Scottish Canals to deliver these.