Each mooring location is different; they range from urban locations to rural and village locations surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in Scotland. So, whether you are seeking the buzz of city living, the tranquillity of the woodlands and rolling countryside or the drama of the mountains we have it all.

Each location has different facilities and each mooring caters to different shapes and sizes of vessels. It is important to make sure that you pick a location that best suits you and your vessel. Scottish Canals are always happy to discuss your requirements and ensure that we accommodate you at the most suitable location for you. 

Types of moorings

Leisure Moorings

Leisure Moorings are perfect for those who want to relax, unwind and travel the canals during their free time. 


Winter Moorings

Winter Moorings are available from the October to March. Berths are available across the network for a minimum of 3 months up to a maximum of 6 months.  


Residential Moorings

For those seeking a home on the water we have Residential Moorings on the Forth & Clyde Canal, Union Canal and at Seaport Marina on the Caledonian Canal. 


Commercial Moorings

If you are wanting to trade on the canals, Commercial Moorings are available on some waterways (subject to a Trading Agreement). 

Enquire about a Location

Each location has different facilities and each mooring caters to different shapes and sizes of vessels. It is important to make sure that you pick a location that best suits you and your vessel. 

We have waiting lists for some of our most popular moorings. If we don’t have a mooring available at your chosen location,  you can join the waiting list. 

Submit your enquiry here

Licences and Moorings Terms and Conditions

Please refer to the Boating on Scotland's Canals Licences and Moorings Booklet for full Terms and Conditions.

Long-term licence

Boaters with a long-term mooring of three to twelve months also need a long-term Scottish Navigation Licence to keep and use the boat on our waterways. 

The licence is valid for the duration of your mooring permit, up to a maximum of twelve months, and covers our Highland Waterways (Crinan and Caledonian canals) and Lowland Waterways (Forth & Clyde and Union canals).

To apply for a licence you will need: 

  • Long Term mooring on the Canal network
  • A Boat Safety Certificate, MCA certificate of Declaration of Conformity for craft less than 4 years old. 
  • Insurance which covers third-party liabilities for at least two million pounds and costs of recovery if your vessel takes on water or sinks.